Fall & Spring Semester Devising and Physical Theatre Program
The undergraduate program in Devising and Physical Theatre at the Accademia dell’Arte offers young artists the unique opportunity to develop their creative potential and expand their performance technique through exposure to European theatre and performance trends. The curriculum offers high level training in specific yet interrelated disciplines with the aim of providing skills and competence while encouraging experimentation and innovation.
Grounded in the spirit of the actor/creator, the program features extensive work in Commedia dell’Arte (and other heightened performance styles), expressive Movement, Voice, an introduction to performance history beginning with the Avant Garde, as well as Italian Language.
The Devising and Physical Theatre Program invites highly motivated students who seek challenge, discovery, growth and an expanded skill set in physical performance and collaboratively devised physical theatre.
This program is designed for:
- BFA students who seek to expand their actor training through unique, rigorous, European-based approaches to physical acting and devised performance, and
- BA students who look to experience self-generated & ensemble-based work alongside physical approaches to acting and devised performance.
Faculty and instructors, while your students are studying and training with us, they will be engaged in the discovery and development of their unique artistic self. You can expect them to return to your classes, studios and productions more confident in taking risks, more precise, more collaborative and able to draw from a wider set of skills and experiences.
- Techniques for the Physical Actor
- Performance Practices
- Poetics of Performance
- Liberal Arts Studies – Fast and Furious: Social Change and the Avant Garde
- Italian Language: Beginner or Intermediate
- Each year students will take a facilitated multi-day study & training tour to an Italian city of artistic interest.
- Day trip to Firenze